I am a huge fan of SomaFM. I Have been listening to this listener-supported, commercial-free Internet-only streaming music station for years.
I do no only use my xbmc on Raspberry Pi (OpenElec) to watch movies, I regularly listen to music as well. So how can we add the wonderful ambient, jazz, loungy or indie tunes of SomaFM to xbmc? A quick search pointed to https://github.com/nils-werner/xbmc-somafm, but my OpenELEC lacked the git command.
Reluctant to install git on OpenELEC just for this, I performed this workaround
- I first installed git with the default package manager on my Linux Destop (Synaptic on Debian)
- Following the instruction in https://github.com/nils-werner/xbmc-somafm/blob/master/README.md, I downloaded the plugin with git to my desktop:
git clone https://github.com/nils-werner/xbmc-somafm.git plugin.audio.somafm
- I then archived and compressed the folder:
tar cvzf plugin.audio.somafm.tgz plugin.audio.somafm
- Transfered the .tgz file to the OpenELEC:
scp plugin.audio.somafm.tgz root@openelec:/storage/.xbmc/addons/
- Then logged in with ssh to the OpenELEC, and extracted the .tgz:
tar xvzf plugin.audio.somafm.tgz
chown -R root:root plugin.audio.somafm/
- After rebooting your OpenELEC you can find SomaFM under Music > Add-ons